What is CILT Cymru?
The National Centre for Languages (CILT Cymru) is the national centre of expertise on language teaching. Established in 2002 as part of the CILT network, CILT Cymru has been given a key role in implementing 'Languages Count', the Welsh Government's strategy for Modern Foreign Languages. CILT Cymru's office is on Western Avenue, Cardiff, housed in WJEC.
What does CILT Cymru do?
CILT Cymru's prime objectives are:
* to promote a greater national capability in languages
* to support the work of all those concerned with language teaching and learning within all sectors of education and in business.
Who uses CILT Cymru?
CILT Cymru's services are available to anyone involved with teaching languages:
* Teachers and student teachers
* Lecturers and tutors
* Language advisers and consultants
* Teacher trainers
* Researchers and students
* Head teachers, parents and governors
* Business language trainers
* Careers advisers
CILT Cymru services and facilities
* A comprehensive programme of Continuing Professional Development for teachers in Wales, plus access to courses in the UK and abroad
* A drop-in resource centre housing a constantly updated bank of materials in all media
* Enquiry service - contact us in person, by post, telephone or e-mail - in Welsh or in English
* E-mail discussion fora including the CILT Cymru Forum
* Publications : a wide range of titles by expert practitioners and researchers
* CILT Cymru News - a termly bulletin giving the latest information on MFL activity
* Action-research projects such as the Welsh Assembly's KS2 pilot project
* Support for schools and LEAs - the CILT Cymru Compact scheme
* Support for HE language departments in partnership with the UK Subject Centre for Languages Linguistics and Area Studies
* Languages and the world of work
* Free 'Languages and Careers' talks for school pupils.
CILT Cymru and Welsh
Although CILT Cymru's main focus is on foreign languages, we welcome the development of links with the Welsh language in order to develop themes of common interest, for example literacy skills. CILT Cymru operates a bilingual policy, and provides a range of services through the medium of Welsh as well as English.